Saying goodbye to a loved one is never easy, but during the COVID pandemic, it can be even more challenging. While you may not be allowed to meet in person, there are some things you can do to help bridge the gap of distance.
1. Organize old photos. Look through photo albums and create electronic and physical files. Share with family and ask others to do the same.
2. Create an electronic or physical scrapbook keepsake with photos and memories of your loved one. This can be done electronically in Powerpoint or in a personally decorated physical book.
3. Start a "Care Bridge" or Facebook group and invite family and friends to join. Post periodic updates on your loved one and also encourage others to share memories.
4. Be an advocate for your loved one. Reach out to family and friends and encourage them to connect and say goodbye.
5. Build a bridge with a healthcare worker who is with your loved one. Get to know the people caring for your loved one. Express your appreciation for all that they are doing. If appropriate, ask for help using technology to connect.